Podcasting, vodcasting and webcasting…OH MY! Let’s start at the beginning with some definition (provided by Wikipedia):
- Podcasting: a series of digital media files (either audio or video) that are released episodically and downloaded through web syndication
- Vodcasting: a podcast that contains video content
- Webcasting: the ability to use the Web to deliver live or delayed versions of sound or video broadcasts
So, we know what a podcast is now. A vodcast is simply a video podcast and a webcast is simply a vodcast published on the web. Looking at it from that point-of-view, I guess you could say that they are all essitally versions of a podcast. Each just takes it a step further than the last.
A Survival Guide to Social Media and Web 2.0 Optimization, by Deltina Hay, provides 7 key steps in creating and promoting a podcast of your own:
- Record and prepare a podcast episode
- Upload the episode to the Internet
- Publish the episode to a blog, Website, or service.
- Create your podcast feed.
- Burn your podcast feed to FeedBurner
- Promote your podcast on your Website or blog, and in podcast directories.
- For each new podcast episode, repeat steps 1, 2, and 3.
According to the author, follow these seven steps and you should be own your way to producing your company (or yourself) with your very own podcast. If you feel the need to bump it to the next level, add some video or publish it on the web. Then you will go from creating a simple podcast to creating a vodcast or webcast. It’s all up to you.